joaquin

What do you think of the animation in Netflix's 'The Dragon Prince'?

I ran into this article the other day and it's sparked a lot of conversation between some of my friends about animation quality: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/27/17911292/the-dragon-prince-animation-netflix-improvement

The animation in 'The Dragon Prince' certainly has a distinct style that tries to imitate stopmotion or older 2D animation, but I don't think that's necessarily bad. What do ya'll think of it? 

Watching it this morning with the family.

it reminds me a bit of the shows I would watch in the 80’s - I like that it’s on 2’s.  I think that overall they have done a good job with the rigs and rendering to make it feel hand drawn, but are taking advantage of 3D for more interesting camera angles and choices.

im curious if they are using maya or blender for the work!

I watched most of it with my boys when it first came out. I'm not a fan of anime, but I thought it looked very nice and the choppy animation didn't bother me. It also reminded me of those 80's cartoons. 

I said this on twitter, the issue is that the visual look doesn't hold up well with the "WAY" they did the limited animation and they didn't keep the limited look consistent. You can drop frames but you have to do the work to make the drop frame look feel connected and not like a bad slide show set to playback too slow.

A quick look at twitter today for this and there are still lots of tweets complaining about the animation "stuttering" and feeling choppy. 

There are many great examples of limited animation working just fine but there is a visual expectation setup by the richness of the show that makes limited frame rate stick out...and is a big enough distraction that it is hurting the show.   

5 minutes ago, Brad Clark said:

I said this on twitter, the issue is that the visual look doesn't hold up well with the "WAY" they did the limited animation and they didn't keep the limited look consistent. You can drop frames but you have to do the work to make the drop frame look feel connected and not like a bad slide show set to playback too slow.

A quick look at twitter today for this and there are still lots of tweets complaining about the animation "stuttering" and feeling choppy. 

There are many great examples of limited animation working just fine but there is a visual expectation setup by the richness of the show that makes limited frame rate stick out...and is a big enough distraction that it is hurting the show.   

I definitely agree that the visual design is great but the limited frame rate pulls me out of the show a lot of the time. I understand their choice to limit it but it also seems like they are reconsidering how choppy it is, which I think will plus the show significantly if they go through with it. 

I hope they do keep it off 1s though, 2s feel like it would be smooth enough but when the show drops into 4s it becomes really stuttery and choppy. Would you think constraining the animation to purely 2s would help alleviate a ton of the choppiness.