Sean Bowes-Lyon-MacDonald

North American G Rating Guidelines.

Question

Hi there, I'm a new writer/director working at Nimble, my team and I have a production in progress on this excellent animation platform, we are revising our script and storyboards in order to achieve a G rating according to the North American rating guidelines, does someone here have knowledge they would like to share regarding what is and is not permitted?  We are concerned at the moment with how to achieve designing cartoony violence, what is and is not allowed, what are examples of the differences regarding a PG rating verses a G rating in a cartoony violence regard?

With most kind regards, 

Sean Bowes-Lyon-MacDonald.

4 answers to this question

I went to check out the MPAA ratings guidelines: http://www.thestate.org/services/mpaa and here's what they say for G rating..

G: General Audiences
All ages admitted
A G-rated motion picture contains nothing in theme, language, nudity, sex, violence or other matters that, in the view of the Rating Board, would offend parents whose younger children view the motion picture. The G rating is not a "certificate of approval," nor does it signify a "children's" motion picture. Some language may go beyond polite conversation but it is common everyday expressions. No stronger words are present in G-rated motion pictures. Depictions of violence are minimal. No nudity, sex scenes or drug use are present in the motion picture. 

There was also a study done back in 2000 by the NCBI: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10819958 that concluded: 

Our content analysis suggests that a significant amount of violence exists in animated G-rated feature films. Physicians and parents should not overlook videocassettes as a source of exposure to violence for children. JAMA. 2000;283:2716-2720.

So violence does exist in G rated films... but it's not very specific. It'd be great to hear from someone who has done this kind of research for real!

@Jen do you know of anyone in the industry we might be able to contact?

-jason

21 hours ago, Jason said:

@Jen do you know of anyone in the industry we might be able to contact?

Unfortunately, I don't, but I'll be on the lookout!