Jason

[Maya] Set Evaluation to SERIAL!

I was getting a TON of crashes in Maya yesterday... like nearly every 5 minutes!

The rig i'm using is super simple, basically just a bunch of constraints. So I set my evaluation mode to serial instead of parallel, and got zero crashes.

I know this isn't a long-term solution.. but for now, at least I can work.

To do this, go to:

Windows -> Settings / Preferences -> Preferences

Click on  Animation

Set evaluation mode to Serial.

image.png

14 hours ago, Charles Wardlaw said:

Hey out of curiosity, what rig? That is super weird.

It's very weird!  It's a super-simple rig as well.. literally NOTHING complicated, no IK, no cycles.. just a bunch of constraints that flow correctly.  There should be nothing that causes it any harm, but maya 2017 r4.. BAM.  ?

I'd check for follicles and any kind of dynamics objects (ncloth, cmuscle, nhair), even if they're disabled.

The other thing to try is see what happens if you leave on parallel but disable GPU deform and Controller Nodes in Graph, if you have that checked and are using Controller nodes.

If you want a second set of eyes you know where I live. ?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jarom Brand
      Does anyone know how to get a list of all the attributes that show up in the channelBox? I have something that works for transforms, but if I try it on shapes I get way more than I want. 

This is what I have so far:
      import pymel.core as pm def getChannelBoxAttrs(obj): ''' Returns a list of all the visible attributes @param PyNode: object The ojects whoes attributes will be toggled @return list: Returns a list of the attributes in the channelBox ''' visible_attrs = [] attribs = obj.listAttr(k=True, u=True) attribs.extend(obj.listAttr(k=True, l=True)) attribs.extend(obj.listAttr(cb=True)) #remove the parent transform attributes from the list parent_attrs = ['translate', 'rotate', 'scale'] for attrib in attribs: if not attrib.attrName(longName=True) in parent_attrs: visible_attrs.append(attrib) return visible_attrs obj = pm.selected()[0] getChannelBoxAttrs(obj)  
      If I have a  shape selected when I run this I will get this as a return:
      # Result: [Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.controlPoints[-1].xValue'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.controlPoints[-1].yValue'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.controlPoints[-1].zValue'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.uvSet[-1].uvSetName'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.colorSet[-1].colorName'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.colorSet[-1].clamped'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.colorSet[-1].representation'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.aiUserOptions'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.aiTraceSets'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.aiSssSetname'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.aiRenderCurve'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.aiCurveWidth'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.aiSampleRate'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.aiCurveShader'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.aiCurveShaderR'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.aiCurveShaderG'), Attribute(u'nurbsCircleShape1.aiCurveShaderB')] # Even though most of those don't actually show up in the channelBox. 
      Also If anyone has a more elegant way of stripping out parent attributes, I'd love to see it. I never like hard coding things like that. 
    • By Jason
      I was thinking about rigging systems and was wondering if anyone had any experience with mgear or other systems in Maya?  @Brad Clark you said you got mgear working in Nimble - can you tell us about it?
    • By Jarom Brand
      Ever since Autodesk included Arnold in maya, every NURBS curveShape now has these attributes:
      aiRenderCurve aiCurveWidth aiSampleRate aiCurveShaderR aiCurveShaderG aiCurveShaderB

I like to place instanced NURBS curveShapes under controls to give animators access to the same attributes across multiple controls, say a fk/ik switch. So, to clean things up, I will lock and hide those new attributes and add my own:

For the most part this works great, but those attributes that I locked and hid will randomly pop back into the Channel Box on their own. 

I assume it has something to do with Arnold plugin and that its putting them back, but I'd like to stop that from happening. Any Ideas?