Barry

How To Make Dinner

Wonderful, short, and snappy animation about ...what else? How to make dinner. 
Designed by the immensely talented Naomi Bensen (www.naomibensen.com) and animated by Dylan Casano (www.dylancasano.com)

m380haid7zzy.png

Hey all! I'm the animator behind this bad boy. The design was cooked up by Naomi Bensen, an insanely talented illustrator on the rise—keep an eye on her! We also got some custom lettering prepared by the amazing Emily Rasmussen!

So the software I used was After Effects and Flash, but mostly After Effects. Flash was used for a couple traditional effects animation, like the smoke at the end. Illustrated in Adobe illustrator. Naomi had illustrated these scenes with little narrative/transitions in mind, that's where my job came in. I was really lucky that good ol' match cuts would work great for scene transitions; and it really lends a graceful, yet hectic flavor to the piece.

I'd have to say that the biggest challenge behind the piece was assuring that the animation style matched the design style at all times. For instance, in the end when the food is piling up and toppling over, my first instinct was to use some sort of physics simulator to save me some sweat; but this was not a good solution because the physics broke it out of the "whimsy" of the illustration style. In the end I had to animate each little food item one frame at a time, with some fancy rigging tricks. I like how it came out!

If y'all have any specific questions, I'm more than happy to answer. Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

Hey @Dylan Casano ! Glad you're on the forum! When Naomi gave you the Illustrations, were you able to bring them directly into After Effects, or did you have to rebuild them to work for animation?